Joined: 30 Oct 2008
|Posted: Sat 19 Dec - 22:50 (2009) Post subject: PANDALE , TEXAS
|Val Verde County, West Texas
53 miles NW of Comstock
50 miles SW of Ozona (via FM 2083 and unpaved road)
2 miles from the Pecos River
Population: Estimated 20
Book Your Hotel Here & Save
|Community Center / Schoolhouse in Pandale|
Photo courtesy Erik Whetstone, August 2005
|Pandale, we're told, takes its name from its pan-like shape and it's location in a valley (dale). There isn't as much in Pandale as there once was, but there's still more here than there is for forty miles in any direction.|
The Official State Highway map shows Pandale as being on the end of FM 1024, which it is. However, it can also be reached heading Southwest out of Ozona, although the paved road ends at the Crockett County line.
Pandale had a post office (occupying 6 different locations ) from 1909 until 1977. Their school consolidated with the Comstock ISD in 1969 and their last business closed its doors in 1973.
Today Pandale serves as a drop off point for canoeists wanting to canoe the Pecos. The name Pandale is also given to a particular type of arrowhead or "point" that was originally discovered here.
REFERENCE : http://www.texasescapes.com/WestTexasTowns/PandaleTexas/PandaleTexas.htm